Today Christian Newsome, pastor of Journey Church International, spoke on how to be a strong follower of Christ. It was the most practical sermon on the Christ Follower’s life I’ve ever heard, so I’m putting my notes on here to hopefully help you out!
-1 Corinthians 3:1-9
-Christians are supposed to grow.
1.) Consistently read, understand, and be impacted by God’s Word.
– 2 Timothy 3:16-17- The Bible is useful.
– How to read:
– Have a plan. (YouVersion)
– Have a place. (Consistent place)
– Have goals.
– Have a pen. (Journal)
– Have a proper Bible. (Study Bible)
2.) Have close Christian friends.
– 1 Corinthians 15:33
– No Christian friends?
— Change your friends. (Don’t leave them, but lead them to Jesus.)
– Jesus sent the disciples out two by two. Paul was never alone. Jesus was never alone. Don’t be alone.
3.) Date only strong Christians.
– 2 Corinthians 6:14
– If you are dating someone that is not a Christian, the Greek word is dump them. Then lead them to Christ.
4.) Develop a prayer life.
– Learn how to relate and rely on Jesus.
– Luke 18:1
– Matthew 7:7
– Pray on your knees.
– Keep a prayer journal.
5.) Find a mentor.
– 1 Corinthians 11:1
– Find someone older and wiser and stronger than you and meet with them.
6.) Develop a spirit of worship.
– Psalm 84:4
– Create an authentic culture of worship in your life.
– Listen to Christian music.
7.) Begin serving in ministry.
– Ephesians 2:10
– Serve in your church.
8.) Be a leader.
– Ephesians 4:11-13
9.) Be willing to sacrifice.
– It isn’t easy. You must sacrifice.
– Luke 9:23-25
– If you can’t look back and see sacrifice you probably aren’t following God as closely as He wants you to.
10.) Be resilient.
– Resilient- be willing to work through things while staying close to Jesus.
– John 16:33
– You’re going to have troubles even if you follow everything on this list. But take heart. Jesus has overcome the world.